No pro - and yet happy ...

(06. Juli 2019) I have said it time and again: I am not a pro - never have been, never will be. Not as far as magic is concerned, anyways. I have come to the realisation that one of the consequences of that is: I cannot reliably predict how well my "stuff" goes down with my audience, simply because I don't perform the "stuff" often enough for different people to tweak it to every eventuality, to be able to adapt it on the fly to any kind of audience, to have a witty remark in any situation. What that means is this: My highs are very high, my lows are very low.
Why the bl00d$ he|| didn't they laugh at that punchline? Why are they chatting in the background? Why are they looking where they are not supposed to look? Should I have practiced more often? Should I have practiced differently? And my dear audience: Don't believe for second that I don't notice that you were not amused.
On the other hand: If it works, it's absolutely exhilarating! In the day and age of such things as TV, Youtube, Lady Gaga, fireworks, Monster trucks, opera, Disneyland, adventure swimming pools and chartered accountants yearly meetings you entertain people with nothing but a few playing cards, coins or plastic paddles! You do stuff right under their noses that baffles them and that makes laugh and think and talk. How cool is that?
Last Saturday it was way cool for me, because it was a very high high at the BBQ of a very dear former colleague of mine from work, a German Lady of Indian decent who always invites a very illustrious mix of people, many of which are of Indian decent themselves. And if you had asked yourself why this blog-post is in English, there you have got the answer. Also, her mother was there. What can I say: It was a blast! Everyone was willing to be entertained, people cheered and laughed - and heckled me in the best and nicest possible way - which is what close-up magic is all about in my mind. Nowhere is the contact with the audience that immediate and direct and that's what I love about it.
I don't know, maybe for pros not having the low lows makes the high highs less shiny, less exciting. I for one are very happy in my little corner of the magic world ...